Waterford Crystal: ‘We’re occupying to save our jobs’

Six hundred workers are occupying the Waterford Crystal factory in Ireland after receivers tried to sack them and close the plant.The plant had already suffered cuts in jobs and shifts, when the plant went into receivership in early January. Then, in mid-January the receivers broke the news that the plant was closing—on a Friday after most workers had finished for the week.
Within hours workers had returned to the plant intending to occupy. “The security tried to stop us getting in—but they failed,” one worker told Socialist Worker, our sister publication in Ireland. “They closed the doors, but there were too many people. We stormed our way in—some 400 workers entered the plant.”

Workers keep the plant open
Workers are continuing to operate the plant’s furnace, which would suffer eight million Euros worth of damage if left idle for longer than one day. The receivers had made no contingency plans for keeping the furnace operating.
Joe, another worker in the occupation, told Socialist Worker, “We’re staying until we get the receiver’s decision to close the plant reversed. We want there to be an opportunity for someone to come in and buy this company and save jobs. And we want reasonable conditions for any that have to leave.”
Despite being in the middle of an icy winter, support rallies have attracted up to 8000 people in the town of Waterford. Food, blankets, gifts, money and messages of support are coming from around the UK.
As Ireland’s recession deepens the Waterford workers are showing millions of workers around the world how to fight to defend jobs and conditions. The workers are not only demanding that the receivers take care of them—they are also demanding that the Irish government take responsibility for securing their jobs and conditions.
Tom Hogan, a former Waterford glass worker and president of Waterford trades council said, “People are just saying, ‘Thank fuck somebody is doing something!’ They used to go home to their fires at night and contemplate which window in the dole office they were going to line up at. But the occupation has turned that mood around.”

By Ernest Price

Follow us

Magazine

Solidarity meetings

Latest articles

Read more

ACTU shuffles the deck chairs: McManus out, Donnelly in, but nothing’s...

Melissa Donnelly has been declared the new secretary of the ACTU. She will be taking over a much-diminished union movement from Sally McManus who is stepping down on 31 August.

Victorian teachers strike again after relentless campaign of rank-and-file organising

Victorian teachers and education support staff took strike action again on 23 July, with schools across the state severely affected. About 20,000 marched in a display of raw anger at conditions in schools.

Open letter to Socialists in Schools: Back teachers’ strike on 4...

FTC and SIS both campaigned for rank-and-file teachers to vote No to the last offer from the Victorian government. SIS however is now declining to support FTC and the rank-and-file’s campaign for a strike on 4 August.