Five months after Reza’s killing—danger signs on Manus Island

On Manus Island, there are ominous signs that Transfield and the Immigration Department are actively preparing to re-introduce local PNG staff into the detention centre.

On Monday 14 July, after a routine discussion between asylum seekers’ representatives in Mike Compound and Transfield over access to phones and the use of the internet, the two representatives were taken out of the compound by Wilson Security guards.

Other asylum seekers were told, “They aren’t coming back.” They have not been seen since. Both are eye-witnesses to 17 February attack and to the murder of Reza Berati. There are serious concerns that PNG police involved in the February attack will have access to them; putting their lives in danger.

No local staff have worked inside the detention centre since Reza’s killing.

Follow us

Magazine

Solidarity meetings

Latest articles

Read more

Albanese leaves refugees behind in PNG

Anthony Albanese visited PNG in January, but said nothing of the refugees who had been sent to Manus Island in 2013 when he was deputy prime minister in the Rudd Labor government that imprisoned them offshore.

Refugees have unfinished business with Labor

On 29 November more than 1000 refugees rallied on the lawns of Canberra’s Parliament House to once again demand Labor make good on its pre-election promise to grant permanent visas to refugees on temporary visas.

It’s not complicated—Permanent visas for refugees now

It’s now almost six months since Labor was elected, and the anger is growing.

Comments

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here